JOHNSTON COUNTY TOURISM AUTHORITY
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
11:00 AM, Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Visitors Bureau Administrative Offices
Present: M Boyette, J Godfrey, T Stewart, Ernie Brame, K Brinson, C McLamb, P Boucher,
Absent: B Dixon, M Patel, K Henthorn, S Henley
Staff: D Bailey-Taylor, A Phillips, E Dean, E Bailey, A Astoske
- I. Presentation by Chris Cavanaugh
Chris Cavanaugh of Magellan Strategy Group made a presentation to the board and staff on his findings from the Marketing Audit of the Johnston County Visitors Bureau. A full written report is due to the bureau in the next couple of weeks.
II. Call to Order – E Brame, Chairman
E Brame called the meeting to order at 12:39pm and stated that a quorum was present. With no corrections, the agenda was adopted. Brame asked for a motion to accept the April minutes that were previously sent to the Board. M Boyette motioned to accept the April minutes as presented. Keith Brinson seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
Month-to-Date Revenue for April was $84,352.20. Month-to-Date Human Resources expenses were $24,577.94. Month-to-Date Operations were $40,281.68. Net Income for the month was $19,492.58. Year-to-Date Revenues were $716,625.26. Year-to-Date Human Resources expenses were $243,674.78. Year-to-Date Operations were $429,913.84. Year-to-Date net income was $43,036.64. The March revenues were $54,521.38. Smithfield’s March Revenues were $16,025.30. Selma’s March Revenues were $8,864.60. Kenly’s March Revenues were $2,319.26. Benson’s March Revenues were not reported. D Bailey-Taylor stated that the month of April revenues were better for the hotels, but not as good as last year. Taylor stated that the Raleigh and Triangle area occupancy and ADR were running flat as well.
IV. Special Projects Committee – T Stewart
T Stewart reported that the Special Projects Committee did not meet, but will meet during May to discuss Special Events Grants procedures for requests, payments and ways to make it flow easier.
V. Marketing Committee – P Boucher
VI. Sports Council Committee – J Godfrey
No meeting in April but, will meet in May and will have a guest speaker from the NCSU Recreation Resources Services to discuss county-wide parks and recreation plans.
VII. Staff Report – D Bailey-Taylor
- The 301 Endless Yard sale press releases have gone out as well as releases about the Ham & Yam Festival and the Ava Film Screening Event. D Bailey-Taylor asked that board members take flyers and brochures back to their offices and distribute them.
- Staff attended the grand opening of Deep River Brewery in Clayton which was well attended.
- Double Barley Brewery will open in June and the staff visited the facility on US 70. They did receive their license to brew last week and now they will start on construction of the brewery and beer garden.
- The bureau will have two interns this summer, one from Johnston Community College sponsored by the NC Rural Center and one from UNC Greensboro Tourism program.
- The trade agreement for the CPO Visitors Center is in the legal department with Simon.
- D3000 data is being converted and training will take place in July.
- The bureau will need to completely set the 2013-14 Budget Manual Spreadsheet based on the data and recommendations from Magellan Strategy Group.
- Smithfield-Selma map is in design. All ads with the exception of one space have been sold.
Summary of Visitor Inquiries and Distribution – April
Visitor inquiries: pieces of literature mailed: 2,088
Year to Date visitor inquiries: 24,484
New and Inactive IP Records in D3000
New Record /Opened: PetSmart – Smithfield
Wendy’s – Selma
Sheetz – Smithfield
Deep River Brewery - Clayton
Closed: Austin General Store – Four Oaks
Stephanie’s Signs, Monograms & More closed storefront, selling online only
Google Analytics – report for April
www.johnstoncountync.org – 2,072 unique visitors, 6,664 page views
www.visitsmithfield.org – 3,439 unique visitors, 12,122 page views
www.visitkenly.org – 972 unique visitors, 2,868 page views
www.hamandyam.com – 3,188 unique visitors, 12,469 page views
www.visitbenson.org – 1,138 unique visitors, 2,698 page views
www.visitfouroaks.org – 571 unique visitors, 1,624 page views
www.visitclayton.org - 913 unique visitors, 2,338 page views
www.visitselma.org – 1,220 unique visitors, 5,384 page views
www.muscadineheritagewinetrail.com – 301 unique visits, 953 page views
www.americasmainstreetnc.com – 119 visits, 137 page views
www.301endlessyardsale.com – 1,880 visits, 4,997 page views
VIII. Old Business
E Brame shared that there will be a press conference on May 13 at 3pm in front of the JCC Auditorium about the proposed tolling of I-95. He encouraged all board members to attend.
IX. New Business
D Bailey-Taylor stated that the NC Department of Commerce under the new leadership of Governor Pat McCrory, recently announced plans to privatize the department which oversees the NC Division of Tourism marketing functions and promotions. How this may affect marketing the state and the division is unclear at this time.
Meeting adjourned at 1:10 pm.
Mary Boyette, Secretary/Treasurer
Johnston County Tourism Authority - Board Meeting
12Noon, June 5, 2013
Visitors Bureau Administrative Offices