The Johnston County Visitors Bureau has established the following policies concerning listings on our website and in publications like our Visitors Guide, and other marketing materials.
Listing: An individual tourism business listing on Johnstoncountync.org for partner businesses who adhere to the policies outlined herein. For each listing, partners will receive an Extranet login and will be responsible for managing and updating their individual listing in adherence with the stated policies below. Any listing on our website or microsites may be revised or updated at the discretion of the JCVB team.
Editorial Content: From time to time, the Visit JCVB team will develop content for Johnstoncountync.org that helps tell the destination story to visitors, supports a media pitch, or enhances a social promotion. In most instances, the Visit JCVB team will link its editorial content to pertinent partner listing pages on JohnstonCountyNC.org that are in line with content design and usability strategies. Editorial and internal link choices will be made at the discretion of the Visit JCVB team.
- Tourism-related businesses that qualify for a listing are asked to provide a reciprocal link to JohnstonCountyNC.org
- In all cases, Visit JCVB team reserves the right to determine eligibility for inclusion on JohnstonCountyNC.org, the Official Johnston County Visitors Guide or in any other collateral, digital, email, or online promotion undertaken by JCVB.
(Includes bed & breakfasts, hotels, motels, cabins, and unique accommodations)
- All occupancy tax-collecting Johnston County accommodations with five rooms or more will receive a complimentary listing on JohnstonCountyNC.org.
- Accommodations are asked to provide a reciprocal link to JohnstonCountyNC.org
- Accommodations will be listed by the official name based on the following criteria on the Web site:
- Exterior signage;
- Collateral pieces, stationary, and business cards;
- Web site references used on individual Web site and any flagship site and/or listings.
- Prepositions such as The, At, On, And, A, etc., will not be considered in the alphabetical listing.
- Numerals will not be considered in the alphabetical listing, unless it is part of the official name as designated in the above criteria.
The following properties and business enterprises are not eligible for listing in the accommodations section of JohnstonCountyNC.org:
- Accommodations located outside Johnston County.
- For-profit and not-for-profit properties or meeting facilities with on-site accommodations that are exempt by law from collecting accommodations taxes, or are located outside Johnston County.
- Internet-based enterprises whose primary business is to book real-time online accommodations reservations.
Unique Lodging Guidelines
The JCVB will provide listings in the Visitors Guide and on the website for lodging in Johnston County found on AirBnB and Vacation Rentals by Owner (VRBO), if the following criteria is met.
1 - Alternative lodging venues are available for rent on a consistent basis.
2 - The venue is associated with a Johnston County attraction or meeting facility.
3 - A historic home in Johnston County that is listed with either third-party service.
4 - Alternative lodging is located on a local farm.
Special Packages and Promotions
JohnstonCountyNC.org “Deals & Packages” page is reserved for:
- Area attractions, dining and/or accommodations promotions curated or organized by the Visit JCVB team that meet lodging guidelines.
- Special promotions or coupons offered by Johnston County-based attractions, shopping, and restaurants.
Calendar of Events
Tourism-related events located within Johnston County may be listed at no charge in the Calendar of Events. The events posted shall be those determined by the Visit JCVB team to be of interest to visitors to Johnston County. The Visit JCVB team reserves the right to determine eligibility for inclusion on JohnstonCountyNC.org with consideration given to the ability of the event to generate overnight lodging stay. The site is not intended to serve as a community calendar for events primarily of interest to a local residential population such as civic club meetings or local fundraising events. Events must be open for visitors to attend or participate, buy a ticket for a performance, or be a spectator in like sporting events.
- Attractions located in Johnston County may receive a listing on the website .
- Attractions/activities are asked to provide a reciprocal link to JohnstonCountyNC.org
- The attractions posted shall be those determined by the Visit JCVB team to be of interest to visitors to Johnston County. The Visit JCVB team will make the final determination if there is a question about an attraction.
- Attractions must have regular hours open to visitors, and not "by appointment".
- The Visit JCVB team will provide categories for listings and some additional sub-categories that best fit the description of the business. For example, a business must reach the 50% rule to be listed in another category. If the business is primarily an antique store, but also has ice cream for sale. The store will get a listing under Antiques, with copy about "enjoy ice cream while you shop", but will not be listed under the category, Ice Cream Shops.
- Duplicate listings for the same activity offering are not permitted.
- A single business or activity cannot be listed with multiple brand identities.
- For those attractions that offer accommodations, the attraction listing information included on the Web site will be limited to the promotion of the attraction/activity portion of the business.
Wedding Service Providers
- Johnston County businesses providing services for meetings, event planners, and meetings are eligible for inclusion in the wedding/meeting section.
- Businesses catering to multiple types of groups (meetings, conventions, etc.) must provide a link to a specific page or section promoting the wedding portion of their business.
- Service providers may be listed in two major event site categories (excluding accommodations). The Visit JCVB team reserves the right to determine eligibility for the second major category.
- Service providers are asked to provide a reciprocal link to JohnstonCountyNC.org.
- All restaurants located in Johnston County may receive a complimentary listing on JohnstonCountyNC.org.
- Restaurants located outside Johnston County are not eligible for inclusion.
- Restaurants are asked to provide a reciprocal link to JohnstonCountyNC.org.
- Full service restaurants and specialty category restaurants like Southern and BBQ, are listed in the Official Visitors Guide due to printing costs and space in the guide.
Please note that final interpretation is at the discretion of the Johnston County TDA.