Select from these 10 things available all year round in Smithfield.
- First, get to know the county by visiting the Johnston County Heritage Center to learn about the county’s history and its people at the exhibits on the first floor. Maybe you will find info on your family history in the Reading Room.
- For 25-65% off national retail brands like Adidas, Banana Republic Factory Store, Brooks Brothers Factory Store, Carolina Pottery, Coach, Loft Outlet, Nike, Talbots, Timberland, and Tommy Hilfiger don’t miss a shopping trip to Carolina Premium Outlets in Smithfield with over 80 stores to choose from.
- Ava Gardner - she was a Hollywood legend during the “Golden Age” and she was born in the Brogden Community 7-miles east of Smithfield – visit the Ava Gardner Museum and learn about her Cinderella story and rise to stardom.
- Do you need a girlfriends weekend? Make plans to visit Smithfield for the Girls Weekend Package. Hotel deals, gift bag, chocolates and lots of coupons! It's a date!
- Taste and compare White Swan’s Bar-B-Q, Southern Smokehouse BBQ, and Smithfield’s Chicken 'N Bar-B-Q…..determine who is the best? Everyone has their favorite!!
- Visit Smithfield Community Park for walking trails, swings, and have a picnic lunch. Then venture out for a 3-mile walk along the Buffalo Creek Greenway, which takes you to the Town Commons park downtown. It's all part of the Mountains to the Sea Trail in NC.
- Our second brewery in the county is located along US HWY 70, Double Barley Brewing has a lounge and beer garden for your evening out!
- Take a stroll along the streets of Smithfield enjoying historic homes, shops and eateries along the Downtown Walking Tour, brochures are located at the Heritage Center.
- On a warm day, the Hills of Snow Snowballs on US 301 in Smithfield offers relief from the heat with over 99 flavors.
- Finish up your day with a night out in downtown for a wonderful dinner at SoDoSoPa or Simple Twist.
The following are special events, performances, and festivals -- check out the calendar for dates!
- For hometown talent, visit the Neuse Little Theatre, which hosts several performances each year at Smithfield Town Commons – Legend Hut.
- One of the oldest festivals in Smithfield, the Ham & Yam Festival is a celebration that has grown to include national entertainment, children’s activities, BBQ cook-offs and much more. Get there early on Saturday for Ham Biscuits.